News & Events
Margaret Downing, The Houston
Press, 11 August 2005
An article published in the Houston press in August of 2005 about Celester
Hall, a client of Lewis Fleishman. Mr. Hall went to Afghanistan to help
the troops and make his fortune. He unfortunately came back deaf, in diapers
and looking for benefits.
The Workers’ Injury Law and Advocacy Group
WILG is the national non-profit organization dedicated to
interests of injured workers and their families who, each year suffer
the consequences of work-related injuries or occupational hazards and
who need expert legal assistance to obtain medical care or relief under
workers’ compensation programs.
Presented by Loyola University New Orleans and the U.S. Department of
Since 1992, I have been a guest speaker on the Longshore
Harbor Workers’ Compensation Act at a variety of seminars and
1. 2007 Second Annual National Longshore Seminar
- WILG-Speaker and Faculty Member. Washington, DC. - May 3-5, 2007.
2. 2006 First Annual National Longshore Seminar - WILG - Speaker and
Faculty Member. San Francisco, California. February 16-17, 2007.
3. 2006 Loyola ALC - Annual Longshore & Harbor Workers’ Compensation
Act Conference Presentation: "A Drafting Guide for 8(I) Settlements"
April 5-6, 2006. The Sheraton Hotel, New Orleans, LA.
4. 2005 Loyola ALC - Annual Longshore & Harbor Workers’ Compensation
Act Conference Presentation: "Mediation" March 10 - 11, 2005.
The Sheraton Hotel, New Orleans, LA.
5. August 7, 2002, SPECIAL SPEAKER Re: INTRODUCTION TO WORKERS' COMPENSATION
IN TEXAS - "Walking in and Out Coverage", Clarion Inn, Houston,
Texas, sponsored by the Lorman Education Services.
6. 2000 Loyola ALC - Annual Longshore & Harbor Workers’ Compensation
Act Conference Presentation: "Labor Market Surveys from Both Sides
of the Claim." Article: "Vocational Proof and Labor Market
Surveys in LHWCA Cases" March 16 - 17, 2000. Hilton Riverside Hotel,
New Orleans, LA.
7. Department of Labor Seminar for LHWCA Claims Presentation: "The
Interplay between Longshore Claims and Third-Party Actions." March
25, 1998, Houston, TX. Sponsored by the Department of Labor.
8. Longshore Seminar Presentation: "Disputed Issues - Claimant’s
Point of View." Sponsored by Abercrombie, Simmons & Gillette,
Inc. July 10, 1996. Odyssey Management Building, Euless, TX.
9. Admiralty and Maritime Law Course Presentation: "Longshore and
Harbor Worker’s Act." Article co-authored with J. Michael
Mahaffey: "Longshore Case Values and Credits." Sponsored by
the State Bar of Texas. March 14-15, 1996. S. Shore Harbour Resort &
Conference Center, League City, TX.
10. Admiralty and Maritime Law Course Presentation: "Equation Variables
in Handling LHWCA Claims." Article co-authored with Michael Murphy:
Sponsored by the State Bar of Texas Professional Development April 7
- 8, 1994. South Shore Harbour Resort & Conference Center, League
11. 2nd Annual Admiralty and Maritime Law Conference Presentation: "Handling
Longshore Claims." Article: A Standardized Approach to Handling
LHWCA Cases Sponsored by the University of Texas School of Law. October
1, 1993. Hyatt Regency, Houston, TX.
12. Longshore & Harbor Workers’ Compensation Act Seminar Presentation:
"Practices & Procedures before the Administrative Law Judge."
Presented by The Houston Claims Association & the U.S. Department
of Labor, OWCP. November 5 - 6, 1992. Houston, TX.
13. LHWCA Act - served as case mediator 1998 -Present.